Alumni Spotlight: Rob Appleman

Major: Finance

Graduation Year: 1999

What are you doing now?

As a Retirement Plan Consultant at OneDigital, I assist company’s retirement committees with their investment fiduciary duties to make sure their retirement plans are reasonable in cost and provide diversified investment options to the participants so they can become more retirement ready.

How did your time at AU prepare you for where you are today?

Through my time in school, I had my ups and downs, having outstanding teammates while playing baseball, losing scholarships due to lack of focus and having to figure out how I would pay for school. I had some amazing professors as I got into my major, showing how what we were learning translated into the real world. All of it was an experience that I learned and grew from, providing me with the tools to be successful.

What do you know now that you wish you’d known while an undergrad?

The one constant in life is change, don’t let it bother you. My favorite quote from Charles Darwin is “It is not the strongest that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.”

What person or course most influenced you while at AU? How?

Accounting was the course that influenced me the most during my time at AU. When trying to pick a major, I originally landed on Accounting. However, my lack of focus and interest during my first accounting class helped me change my major pretty quickly to finance. Things happen for a reason, and I always point to that accounting class as the one that started me down the path to where I am today.

What advice do you have for students interested in your field?

The investment field has changed a lot, but at the core, it is still very much the same. When starting out find a company you can grow with, gain knowledge through certifications or training, and find those who are successful with experience who are willing to share what’s worked for them along with their best practices.

What do you miss most about AU?

Playing baseball during my time at AU. I miss the time just hanging out with teammates and those in my major. They were the best of times, just living in the moment.

What are one or two of your proudest professional and/or personal accomplishments that you’ve experienced after graduating?

Honestly, I’ve won annual awards for sales at work, but starting a family and being able to provide for my kids while also being there for all their activities has been my greatest accomplishment.

Written by
Tim Rausch

Tim Rausch is a Communication Strategist in the Dean's Office at the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University.

View all articles
Written by Tim Rausch

Follow us

The James M. Hull College of Business is accredited by AACSB International and offers outstanding, highly-engaged business education at the undergraduate and graduate levels.